Croyde is a great place for walking. Whether you just feel like stretching your legs on a short stroll around the Devon lanes, or an energetic hike along the coast you’ll be spoilt for choice. The popular South West Way links Croyde with more than 600 miles of magnificent coastal paths. Many of our guests enjoy walking in the area, so do please ask for suggestions.
From your Croyde guesthouse or holiday cottage, it’s simply a matter of deciding which direction to walk. At Breakers B&B we can lend you a selection of maps and give you advice on a lovely ramble to suit you and the family. Here’s Jenny and Richard’s pick of the Best 5 Walks around Croyde:
1. Croyde to Putsborough via Baggy Point… this one is really a must for everyone! A gentle path around the cliffs of Baggy with its birds, wild flowers and panoramic views of the ocean and across to Woolacombe. At the top you can choose to cut it short and head back to Croyde, or carry on to Putsborough for coffee and cake at the beach cafe.
2. Saunton Down circular… a level footpath heading towards Saunton beach, then a steep clear route up the hill opposite the Saunton hotel, enjoying stunning views over the huge dunes before returning down the far side into delightful Croyde. Perhaps stopping for a yummy cream tea or a refreshing drink.
3. The easy, gorgeous trail along Saunton beach… self-explanatory, and as long and far as you wish to walk. Take the bus to Saunton or join the footpath by the hotel, dropping down onto the beach for a peaceful ramble on this wide expanse of golden sand.
4. Croyde to Woolacombe and back… a little secret lane leads to Putsborough beach from Croyde where your route runs along the burrows into the bustling village of Woolacombe. Rest for awhile at one of the many cafes before returning via the stretch of beach with views of amazing cliffs.
5. Ilfracombe to Woolacombe – or all the way back to Croyde – a little further afield, but make a full day of it…Catch the bus to Ilfracombe from outside Breakers guesthouse. Armed with a packed lunch and a flask enjoy a superb walk following the undulating cliffs and coves of the South West Way to return to Croyde. It’s a challenging day out, but well worth the effort.
If you’d like somewhere to stay between all this walking you’re going to be doing… we can help you with that!
Give Richard or Jenny a ring today on 01271 890101 to enquire about our Beach Cottages or Bed & Breakfast (also known as “The Closest BnB to Croyde Beach”).