If you’ve ever been trapped in your holiday cottage staring out at the rain and wondering when it will stop, wait no more! Open the front door and beckon your friends and family to join you in some of these fun wet weather distractions:
1) Number One has to be a case of ‘if you can’t stay dry, don’t worry’…go surfing! Just hire a warm wetsuit and a surfboard, or body board, and dive in the sea for a few hours of unbridled fun. You can get some tips from the hire shops, or better still, invest in a lesson or two and learn from the experts.
2) A fairly new kid on the block – Coasteering – is an exciting way to explore the rugged, bouldery lower cliffs around Croyde and north Devon. For older kids and adults this activity is energetic and challenging, so not for the faint-hearted.
3) If gentler pursuits appeal more, visit the fascinating Surf Museum in Braunton where history charts the rise of the local surfing community, with great archive photos, films, old surfing equipment and tall tales to interest any visitor to this niche collection.
4) If you’ve not heard of the Deckchair Cinema where on earth have you been! Local enthusiast Chris runs films to please kids, parents and everybody…check his performance listings, then stretch out in a stripey deckchair at Croyde Village Hall for a few hours of entertainment. Homemade Popcorn and a refreshment or two, and you’ll properly forget that weather!
5) Right in the heart of Croyde there are 2 days of markets run entirely by talented local crafts people. Many of the stalls are under cover with a huge variety of handmade goods, including paintings, photographs, knits, jewellery, bags, clothes and homeware. If the weather isn’t perfect, a little retail therapy will soon cheer you up.
6) Don’t forget the obligatory Devonshire Cream Tea…there are some lovely places to enjoy a melt-in-the-mouth scone, jam and clotted cream, plus a cuppa. Top of the list is May Cottage run lovingly by Caroline who will do her best to blow the clouds away…
7) Just down by the beach is a family fun pool with slides, whirlpools and fountains. Say ‘bah humbug’ to the rain and enjoy a session in Cascades Waterpark with a bag of chips and a hot choc to celebrate.
8) Back to crazy, noisy pursuits now : only a few miles from the village is the amazing AirXtreme trampolining venue. Always popular, this gem of fun is great for all the family…after an hour or two here everyone will be too happy to care about a bit of rain! There’s a bar and cafe with lots of seating for spectators too.
9) Head to Ilfracombe Aquarium if your kids would like to get up close to some of our local sea creatures. Then when that sun does peek out, they can grab a net, and a bucket and enjoy identifying lots of little crabs, shells, shrimps and anenomes down amongst Croyde’s rock pools.
10) Only a bus ride from Croyde and all the family can enjoy some indoor activities in Barnstaple. As well as the undercover Pannier Markets held on several days a week, there’s a wonderful Museum by the old bridge, a large riverside pool with gym, courts and cafe, plus an indoor Bowling alley and rollerskating too
11) Of course if you just want to relax in front of the telly, or watch some daft YouTube clips, or even pass a few hours playing cards, then your cosy Croyde Breaks Holiday Cottage is perfect for some easy downtime …until the rain stops, at least.
Give us a ring today on
( You can also Whatsapp us on